Saturday, February 23, 2013

Writing Tips- My Characters Part 1- Character Analysis

When I develop characters I make sure that I know these things:

Physical Appearance- Hair, eyes, face, height, approximate weight, any piercings or tatoos, mouth, and facial expressions. 

Clothing- Overall style of clothing.

Movements- How does your character move? With confidence, hesitance...?

Behavior- How does he/she act with other people? By themselves?

Home- Where they live: home, town, bedroom.

School/Work/Activities- Know what or how these are done.

Family- This mostly pertains to who the character lives with or who they will meet. For example one of my characters has an aunt that will be coming to visit. 

Possessions- Many characters will have a necklace or something that is special to them. Know what is in their bedroom or the place they live.

Interests- Things they like to do or are interested in. This could drive the plot highly or be the main point of the story.

These next few are optional, but I like to include them.

Beliefs- religion, devotion?

My character is the sort of person who... (for example)
1. Tries to stay out of trouble.
2. Is not the best student.
3. Is picked on a lot.
4. Is unsure of herself.
5. Is surrounded by mystery and worry.

I also like to list a lie that my character would tell.


1 comment: